Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Ending with Hope


At the beginning of this year, e-skyoo [askew] was born... with no precise direction or goal. Mainly as a product of my own self-growth over the past three years, I made a decision to reach out to others who may share some of the same experiences and impairments.

I have used this blog to tell my stories, offer encouragement, provide advice and purge my soul at times. So much has occurred in my life over these last few months, and I have divulged much here. I have truly enjoyed connecting to my readers... realizing we have more in common than I ever expected. That discovery has been of great benefit to me in ways that you can not comprehend and I thank you one and all.

I have posted very little in the last couple weeks for several reasons. First I have been busy beyond my capabilities, so instead of just throwing something out there, I held tight to the belief that I would eventually have more time to write. I feel I owe the few loyal readers I have my best work.

Secondly, I have been going through a period of emotional turmoil and stress. I didn’t want to spew the depression I find myself in onto these pages. I would rather offer support and solutions.

Pain also has a way of zapping my creativity, but I know that it will not last forever. I feel selfish for thinking my problems are so big, that my suffering is insurmountable. In truth, when I am honest with myself and get out of my own crazy head, I know that I have tons to be grateful for. My petty crap is nothing in comparison to the hardship and adversity others are presently facing.


The final reason that I have been reluctant to throw myself into my writing has to do with growth... that of my blog and personally. I recently questioned myself as to what the objective of e-skyoo was to be... which direction was it heading? Using your feedback and comments from the last four months as a guide, I have come to understand that I actually might have something to share that can help others. In the right format, I could possibly facilitate change in someone else’s life by sharing my experiences--not just stories or events, but solutions that have worked and are working in my life.

Embarking upon this self-led journey over the last few years, has resulted in incredible growth and ever increasing joy. And as my happiness and fulfillment begins to flourish, I am compelled to share what has worked and what hasn’t. I no longer want to isolate myself or my issues. Keeping secrets was exhausting and lonely. Sharing has brought peace and transformation, as well as unbelievable closeness to others.

Hopefully without sounding pretentious, I think I am becoming a better person... happier, but also less self-absorbed. As the official glass-half-empty-girl, who would have thought that connecting with and helping others would have meaning for me. I certainly never imagined this path. But my journey is just begun.

With that recognized, I had to honestly evaluate e-skyoo... though it has been an amazing experience, I must leave it behind for something new. Initially, I was planning to transfer eskyoo.blogspot.com to eskyoo.com. But if my blog (and life) is to have a more distinct purpose, I realize it isn’t going to be that simple.

This is not an end, but a beginning; my blogging days are not over. I have already began formulating plans for a new blog that will have a more focused direction... but unfortunately there are technical details to be worked out. In order to get through that annoying process (as I am a technology idiot) as quickly as possible, I must put aside writing until I complete development of my new site. Then I can throw myself into writing, with the goal of offering readers the best, most useful articles that I can. I hope you will join me on this journey, discovering new levels of happiness and fulfillment.

I will keep you posted on the progress of my new blog. I also would love to hear from all of you regarding what you have liked most and/or least about e-skyoo. I welcome all feedback, as it will help me immensely in my future endeavors. Please, please, please leave comments here or on Facebook.

Thank you again for being a part of e-skyoo! Your amazing support and encouragement has given me new hope to dream and achieve the unimaginable.

Live. Breathe. It is not fear that we need to live by, but joy, hope. Inside you, in your ocean, maybe it seems barren; maybe it feels as if there is no hope, no kindness, no reason for happiness. But deep within you, undeniably, something rumbles, cries out, wants to be born. Allow the joy to come forward. Allow the hope to exist. -Maharaji

9 comments:

  1. What is up? Well a lot is up... too much for me at the moment... So I am taking a break. Busy, vacation, busy, kids, busy, busy... but I am also depressed... And though it seems to have been spurred on from the changes going on in some of my personal relationships... this is not the first time I have dealt with this.... so I am doing what I need to do to get back on track.

    I am not trying to be evasive so I'll elaborate... I am going through a divorce and I cut contact with a close friend. The combination has left me feeling a bit empty and much of what I have started to write lately has come out negative, so I have scraped most of it.

    In my melancholy state, I found myself contemplating the direction of my life... I have come to see that I can have a life with purpose. That is not necessarily something I sought after or forced but something I found along the way. Many of the comments that I have received regarding my blog have encouraged me while planting a seed for new possibilities.

    The articles where I share a personal story followed by what I have done or tried... sharing my suggestions and ideas with others... well those articles have been favorites based on comments from readers. So I would like to create a new blog that focuses on offering useful information to others... others like me.

    When I say 'like me' I mean people who have an e-skyoo [askew] mind like mine. Including people who suffer from mental illness or disorders such as depression or ADD/ADHD. People who have undergone crippling insecurities or fear. People who are coping with addiction or recovery. People who want to find happiness, peace and fulfillment who could benefit from my own ongoing journey through stories, trials and errors.

    So I am planning a new blog that will focus on helping others, because those are the articles that got the most attention, those seem to be the ones that were most enjoyed and empowering to others. If being honest about what I have been through and am going through coupled with advice or suggestions, can help others... then perhaps I have found my purpose... or at least a beginning.

    Though I never really looked at this blog as an experiment, on some level it has been a testing ground. I learned much about myself, including the fact that I love to write and I might not be half bad at it. I have loyal readers that enjoy my style, my sarcasm, my honesty.

    So then the question for me was... What do I do with that... where to go from here? I decided that I would shift the direction of my blog to be a site that offers help with healing, a guide toward greater happiness and security, a tool to find peace and purpose, a forum for myself and those I share with to improve their lives even though we are a bit askew in our thinking or the way our minds work.

    But I need some time... to work through my personal stuff and to go through the technical BS of setting up a new site. I felt that if I changed the name/brand of my blog instead of just moving it to a separate/stand alone domain, I create an opportunity to reach more people. So the timing has worked out for me to take a brief break... recreate, regroup and heal.

    I never imagined it, but I love blogging... so I am by no means at an end. This format seems to suit me... I promise to be back with a new blog as soon as possible.

    Didn’t realize you were going to get a book when you typed in four little words... “so what is up?” What can I say... I love to write. Thanks for your question and for your support by reading my blog... See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds rough. So was the "close friend" and husband the same person?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No... but neither is causing me to feel the way I am feeling right now... I am just low and it will eventually pass... as it has in the past.

    Thank you for your concern. My upcoming trip (off to Maui on Monday) will hopefully pull me out of my funk... I am meeting two of my brothers and I am really looking forward to not having daily responsibilities or work or the guilt of being low when my kids are around to worry about. I will be able to laze about the beach on whatever schedule I choose. God is definitely working in my life even when I am feeling alone. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am impressed at how open you are to a total stranger. I guess that is why I read your blog, feel like your a friend. Is feel for you and your depression, and can only wonder at the pain of losing a close friend and having such a traumatic experience on the home front. This friend must have been causing pain as well... Some friend that person must have been?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I try not to look at others as strangers, just people I haven't got to know yet. One important thing that this blog has taught me is that many people are going through or have gone through much of what I myself have encountered.... sometimes sharing one experience, sometimes many. When I write for my blog I imagine that I am having a conversation with a friend that I know and trust.

    Without that belief, I would seek to isolate myself and not share what I have experienced... then I would be unable to help anyone else. We place too much value in our society on 'standing on our own two feet'. Though being overly dependent on others isn't good either, finding (and talking to) others that share our feelings and values and hopes, makes us stronger, better people... I believe this anyway. Isolation and dishonesty keep us from finding true joy and peace... keep us from being ourselves, living a full life.

    You are very insightful regarding 'my depression'... perhaps you too know what that can feel like on some level. I don't enjoy feeling this way, but I try not to fight it or think of it as a personal defect. I know that it will pass. I know that my blue feelings and the recent events in my life certainly pale in comparison to what others suffer from.... but even with that said, I can not will depression away when it gets a hold on me like it has at present.

    Because of my experience with depression and seeing it in others, I know that I can not be complacent either. Right now I am giving it time... and a Hawaiian vacation. If it worsens or lasts too long... I will seek assistance... but hopefully it will not come to that. It is in God’s hands at the moment.

    Regarding my friend... I did what I had to do with regards to that friendship and doing the right thing isn’t always easy. I greatly miss my friend’s presence in my life, but the nature and history of that relationship caused it’s own pain... and for more than just me.

    Fortunately, I know that just because we cease to have contact with someone doesn’t mean we no longer care about them or them for us. Perhaps under different circumstances in the future we will be friends again. I try not to think on what has passed or what will occur too much... as I have no control over these things and when I do dwell on these thoughts, it can be painful.

    We must put aside what we can not control so that we can live our lives in the present as much as possible... easier said than done sometimes... for me it is a work in progress through practice. Taking ‘the good’ and ‘the lessons learned’ from each person we meet, has the power make us better people to all.

    Thank you for your kindness and support. I hope that my new blog will continue to make you feel like you are with a friend. I have certainly come to feel that my readers are my friends that support me, but also challenge me to be honest and put forth my very best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey girl

    You know I love you so it hard to see you sad

    Just one question-do you always do the right thing? How is that working out?

    something to think about???

    love ya,
    Rod

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rodney.... You know I don't always do the right thing... I am not even sure what that is sometimes... especially now. Is it working for me? Not really, but I try to think about others and how my actions affect them. It's out of my hands for now and silence often speaks louder than words... If that isn't clear I will talk to you about it when I see you.... In Maui!!!

    Love you little brother,
    J

    BTW... That was 2 questions...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you sure you have truely and honestly thought about how your actions have affected people around you. Who are the closest people to you right now in your life. Your Family or your new found friends?? I feel if you truely thought about how your actions affected people. you might have done things a bit different. Advice to you my friend. Keep your family close! Don't let your new life push them away!!

    ReplyDelete