Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Surrendering my Pain

Surrender. That was the message I found today, when facing an emotionally painful and uncertain situation in my life. When I saw the word, surrender, my mind immediately latched on to it, because I have heard it used several times this week by myself and others around me. Though I am hard-headed at times, I am trying not to ignore the signs or the big white flag...

What does surrender mean? To give up? Give into emotions, whims or wants? Resignation? It can be defined as giving up or admitting defeat, but surrender is also the act of handing over control to another.

For me this is a difficult and unnatural process... not being in total control?!? I labor and stress to manage the many details of my life, thinking this will bring me what I want, make me happy. To be completely honest, this approach is not really working out for me at all.

Surrender begins when I honestly and fearlessly open my heart, my mind, and admit that I do not know what to do. I have to acknowledge (and constantly remind myself) that I do not understand what everything means or how to respond.

As we recognize our powerlessness, we can hand over control to our inner voice, a higher power, the universe, God. As hard as it is for me, I must allow God to decide for me.

Surrender frees us to perceive, to experience, to simply do what feels right. Living in the moment, we can open ourselves to all possibilities, our full potential. Letting go of negative emotions... worry, regret, fear, pain... replacing them with faith, hope, trust.

I am willing to accept whatever decision is made for me; I don't have to like it to accept it. No matter what it is, I will know and trust that it is right for me. I willingly surrender my pain and uncertainty, open my heart and mind, relinquish control, welcome peace into my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment