Tuesday, January 19, 2010

In an Ello world...

Last Thursday I made a post about my tendency to get locked onto something and ignore my family and at the end of that post I made a resolution to spend more time with my kids.  So I wanted to update you on that promise.

On Friday evening, Saturday, Sunday and Monday (because they were off school ) I did go out of my way to really be there. I made a decision not to write or post to my blog, because I have realized in the last month I just can't do both at the same time.

If I am composing or tweaking a post or my site, I am absorbed, paying no attention to them... If they need me, I ask them to wait or I become impatient with the interruptions or irritated by the bickering in the next room.  So I am going to save it for when they are in school or in bed.

This weekend we spent time together doing necessary things (cleaning two fish tanks and writing thank you cards) and fun stuff (building an Ello mansion and bike riding).  It wasn't forced interaction, but I was at a point where I had to set a boundary for myself:  I didn’t allow myself to get on the computer and zone out...OK OK...I Facebooked at little... just a little....

Now does that mean there was no volume in my voice or bickering or that they didn't truly grate on me and my hubby at times..... oh no, but at least there was no guilt.

I did however start a sewing project, but I made an effort to put it down and walk away when I needed to.... hence the fact that I didn’t finish it...It is still upstairs awaiting my return.  Normally I would have plugged through and finished no matter what.  And don’t think that isn’t bothering me just a bit.... ok more than a bit, but I am okay with it.  One little step at a time.  And that little step makes me feel like a better mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment