Friday, January 8, 2010

My baby turned 7



Max turned 7 on New Year's Eve. I just can't believe it.

With each passing year I feel less needed. How long can I still pinch his booty? When will it be inappropriate for me to snuggle up in bed with him, to help him get dressed, to kiss the soft spot of his temple. And when will some girl break his heart?

I ache to hold on to him forever, but it is already too late for that... The double edged-sword of being a mother. From the moment you give birth, you must begin letting go... you deliver them, then they crawl away, they step away, they run away, go off to school... It just goes on and on.

Truthfully, I get so caught up in what is slipping away, I forget to hold on to what I have right now.  And I am sure that I will be lamenting the loss of 'what is happening now' in time too.

I have to get my priorities straight and remember to be present. PRESENT. PRESENT. PRESENT. I promise... starting tomorrow morning... well my chicklets are already in bed, so I can fuss on what has passed tonight and focus on the here and now tomorrow.  I promise.  It is hard though.... but I promise to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment